HUNGARY - THE World Of Potentials
Anthem: "God, bless the Hungarians" - "Isten áldd meg a magyart"
Area: 93,030 km2
Population: 9 979 000
Official Language: Hungarian (Magyar)
Government: Parliamentary republic
Average temperatures: January -2˚C (28˚F), July 23˚C (73˚F)
Religion: Roman Catholic, Reformed (Calvinist) Protestant, Evangelical (Lutheran), Jewish
Time: Central European (GMT+1)
Membership: NATO (1999), European Union (2004)
Accession to the European Union: May 1, 2004
Did you know that...
- There are 44 letters in the Hungarian alphabet.
- Hungary is the 9th most successful country in the history of Olympic Games.
- Hungarian music education is world famous and you can learn to play an instrument or practice in afternoon music schools.
- Hungarians celebrate Namedays, a day of the year which is associated with one's given name. One more opportunity to get presents!
- Hungarians are know to be great inventors and researchers who invented and discovered such useful things you use in your daily life, like the ball-pint pen, vitamin-C, refrigerator, or the Excel.
- Joseph Pulitzer (newspaper editor and publisher; in his time he was one of the most powerful journalists in the United States), Henry Houdini (magician, escapologist, illusionist, stunt performer, actor); and William Fox (pioneering motion picture executive, original founder of 20th Century Fox) were all Hungarian-born.